Friday, August 17, 2007

Traffic jams in the east...

Left Gettysburg this morning and drove to Hershey... got caught in a small traffic jam on our way to Hershey's Chocolate World. I had decided to avoid Newark and New York City by going north to Scranton and then west to Hartford... only adding about 30 miles to our total trip. (I knew we'd be arriving near New York City too close to the afternoon rush - and on Friday to boot.)

As it turns out, we ended up hitting a major jam just north of Harrisburg due to some minor road construction... the loss of one lane near an on-ramp completely and utterly immobilized traffic for miles. Sat completely still for 5 minutes. Then went about 4 miles in 40 minutes. Traffic was backed up behind us for even more miles and miles. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere too!

Then a log jam in Danbury, Connecticut, as well as two in Waterbury, and another in Hartford.

Maybe I should have taken my chances in New Jersey. (Not sure it would have been worse than Connecticut. I think Danbury, Waterbury, and Hartford are all just part of the same city... or will be soon.)

Then there was the offramp at I-465 off the Massachusetts turnpike... Wham!

(I really, really hate sitting in traffic on the Interstate with more passion than I can describe to you.)

On to New Brunswick tomorrow! (Where there is MUCH less traffic.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home